Sunday, November 16, 2008

Updates

Hey just some quick updates -

I have been traveling around a bit and working on a number of things. People have been very generous here and from the US and I'm very grateful!

I visited Ursula's education center and we purchased 4 tables and 16 chairs so that the students could get off the floor of their pod. They have only some cheap plastic flooring and we'll hopefully be able to purchase a mat (rug) for them as well. Thank you Mike O'Malley (aka "Dad") for the contribution to purchase all of the above. Pictures on facebook soon!

I also visited a project I call Massy because I haven't quite conquered the X-cosa language enough to say the full name (that X is a click sound). This is an orphanage and the director there said I can come and work there any time. I might do that on Tuesday. Ursula's friends lives nearby and we're helping her finish her house that the Irish donated. BTW the Irish built some of the first few houses in SA which embarrassed the government at the time into doing some building of them own for those in need. Go Irish!

I got some scrap wood from a nieghbor and I'm going to build some goals and hopefully start a Sunday afternoon game for the youth in the neighborhood. There are regular drug busts and I'd like to get some of the kids that just wonder the streets doing something and have someone to talk with. Hopefully some of the youth at the church can help.

I got an excellent treat yesterday as I was invited to a wedding by one of Ursula's friends and then her brother for a gathering. Yesterday was the first day of Crayfish (Lobster) season so we had some excellent fresh lobster. The guys all had a good laugh asking about Obama and teaching me Afrikans. One of the fellas was very intrigued to meet an "American-American" and as he put it someone that brought the Bible to life. He was really moved that I was here without any personal tie to SA.

Byronand I'll be teaching again next Monday so please keep us in prayer!

Love and miss you guys!

2 comments:

Feli said...

His servants will always be treated like sons of the King. Praise Jesus for fresh "LOBSTER'!
I love the idea of soccer/sunday, Great outreach! keep shining KID!

bobby said...

hey man!! sounds like you are getting to experience several different things! want you to know you are loved and believed in...we miss you here, but love hearing the stories! peace friend...